Monday, October 19, 2009

Forewarning: Rant

So it's come to my attention many many times, that people in the East Texas area do not appreciate the fact that I'm a vegetarian. Okay, you don't have to agree or want to be a vegetarian and I'm not trying to push my beliefs on you. That's right, these are beliefs and morals. I don't go around saying that all meat eaters are murderers and that what they are doing is wrong. I might not agree with what they're doing, but I'm not throwing paint on people with fur coats or yelling obscenities about them.

In my mind, pointing out that I'm a vegetarian and saying how dumb I am because it's still killing in some sort of way, is like pointing out people who believe in Christ and telling them how their religion is stupid. A person should be able to believe in what they choose and shouldn't be ridiculed for such things. It's really frustrating knowing that so many people are intolerant, and don't even realize that what they're doing is just as bad as what extremists do with their beliefs. By ridiculing me, you're doing the same thing that you're disagreeing with. I know that there are people out there who will get in someone's face and tell them that they're wrong for eating meat, but I am not one of them. To each man their own, and who am I to tell them what to do. I simply implore you that the next time you feel like telling someone their ideals are stupid, think and bite your tongue.

Of course, this idea doesn't only affect people who are vegetarians, but people who have alternative lifestyles, or aren't mainstream Christians. People in the world are always going to be close minded to others beliefs, but the ability to not say anything is a thing of intelligence. No one should be made fun of for what they think or do, but tolerance should be main priority. For example, when I go the gym and see that someone has the hunting channel on, I am disgusted by it. However, I do not start yelling at people for watching it or throw a fit and demand that it be changed. I simply ask if anyone is watching it and if not, I change the channel. Of course, I can not comprehend how someone would want to watch people killing animals, especially when they aren't going to do anything with the animal but kill it. In my opinion, this is like watching a person die in front of you while you stand there and let it happen. I don't know anyone who would want to watch people being killed, and I relate this idea to watching animals being killed. Regardless, I speak of this only to state my beliefs and not to put down people who do actually like that. It's difficult for me to bite my tongue and not say anything, but I do.

Please understand what I am trying to relay here: Be tolerant of others beliefs and morals and keep negative statements to yourself. If you don't like it or agree, then fine. Simply don't say anything, and you definitely don't have to change your own ideals. Sorry for the rant, but it was lying heavily on my heart tonight. I could go on, but I'll end here.

No comments:

Post a Comment